Tuesday, April 11, 2006

1 Corinthians 7:8-10

8 For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it—for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while—

9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

I've begun meditating on these verses. It seems that there is a God-given type of sorrow that both leads to repentance, and leaves no regrets. When I look at my heart truthfully, I begin to realize how often I sin, and how truely wicked my flesh is! If the resulting sorrow is from God, it will cause me to repent and run to God. To repent is not to simply feel sorry for something, but to truely change directions. When we turn around, and we see God in His power, mercy, and grace, we can stand in assurance that He is both powerful enough and faithful enough to forgive those who turn to Him. This leads to joy, not regret... again, not because of who I am, but because of who GOD is.

The question that is raised then is this; what about those who feel sorrow, and never run to God? Even as Christians, if we cannot move from the sorrow of guilt to joy in God, is that joy God given? The answer seems to be no. We need to feel sorrow over sin, but it's purpose is to lead us to God in repentantance so that we can restore our relationship with Him. God is the focus, not us. If it does not lead us to run to God, then it is not surving it's intended purpose, and is not from God.

God is so good! Even Godly sorrow turns to joy and shows a great and powerful and good God!

1 Comments:

Blogger femaleparadox said...

I stumbled across your blog while looking for something else and saw this post. I can't you how timely it was to read this verse of Scripture. Thank you for posting it and for posting your thoughts. All I can say is I whole-heartedly agree.

Wed Aug 22, 11:01:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home