Friday, April 22, 2005

Less then two weeks!

Its so hard to believe! We're going home in less then 2 weeks. It's funny, I remember arriving in Nairobi thinking, "I can't believe I'm actually in AFRICA". Now, in only a little less then 4 months, it feels so normal to be here, that I can't believe that I'll be heading back to the US!
Abby and I have been discussing the idea of culture-shock. It is strange to think about, but we have not experienced any culture shock that we can think of. AIM, the missionary organization that we went through, told us that everybody goes through culture shock of some sort... but like I said, we can't figure out when we did. We have also been wondering if we will experience the "reverse" culture shock upon returning to the states. I don't know if only being in a place for 4 months qualifies someone for this, but we do feel at home here. Does anybody have experience with this? Abby did experience reverse culture shock when she returned from Cote D'Iviore, West Africa as a young teen. She had lived there for 4 years, and in France for a year before that. She also went to the local French schools, so she was really immersed into the culture. It took her quite a while to adjust back to the US. I should have her write about her experience!

We are excited to go home, especially to see family and friends again, but it feels strange, and I know that I'm going to miss Macha, and we already dearly miss Kijabe.
God is good though! He will take care of us, and it is always exciting to know that, while He always takes care of us, He doesn't always let us know what is around the corner and is NEVER boring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home